Friday, June 01, 2007

the art of self perfection and self realization.



its amazing how a single semester of pe could change the track of your entire college life.


i recall saying to myself that i would very much like to become a student athlete once i enter the university. although then, i pictured myself to be part of the lady eagles basketball team, wearing the blue and white jersey printed with bold letters of the ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY, sprinting around the araneta, hearing the screeching sound of my snickers echoing around the basketball court. this however would forever remain a fantasy.


my dream of becoming a student athlete came true, however in a different form. never have i imagined myself to go into the martial arts, most especially judo. and it all happened because of a pe class that my friend wanted to take up. i recall posting in my former blogger (http://shut-me-out.blogspot.com) how overly petrified i was when i learned that she wanted me to join the same class. well, i went through with it for one whole semester. i never expected an invitation from our coach since i wasnt what you'd call competition material. i was just having fun! it didnt occur to me that i would have the option of taking the sport to the next level!

i did accept the offer, with the consideration of both the positive and negative consequences of my decision. of course, such a privilege of competing for the university entitled me of certain responsibilities. i knew that the moment that i said yes, everything would be different. i remember my coach telling me that being a student athlete would be a greater challenge than trying to graduate in the ateneo alone.

good thing im willing to take the challenge. and in the process of actually joining the varsity team, ive learned to love judo as a sport and as a martial art. ive learned to respect the art itself and im willing to extend my knowledge of it not only for my own leisure but for the university im competing for.

its already been 2 months since the track of my college life took on a different route. there may be a couple of ruff turns,but despite this, im willing to drive on.

You progress not through what has been done, but reaching towards what has yet to be done -Kahlil Gibran

No comments: